TODAY’S DAILY WISDOM WORD IS: DISAPPOINTMENTS. WE ALL FEEL DISAPPOINTED FROM TIME TO TIME. THE FEELING OF BEING DISAPPOINTED USUALLY COMES FROM DISPLEASURE IN OURSELVES FOR FAILING AT AN EXPECTATION WE HAVE. IF YOU ASK MOST OF US, WE WOULD ANSWER THAT WE GET DISAPPOINTED WITH OURSELVES BASED ON GOALS OR ACCOMPLISHMENTS THAT WE DID NOT ACHIEVE. WE WILL TALK about being disappointed in ourselves and in others.
Prior to this let us take a look at the meaning of disappointments, both in the Webster Dictionary and our daily wisdom words meaning for disappointments.
Webster definition of disappointments-The feeling of sadness or displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one’s hopes or expectations.
Daily Wisdom Words definition of disappointments- a feeling resulting from failed expectations we have when we don’t achieve a goal or hope set or failed expectations we have when others let us down.
As I mentioned above, for most of us the feeling of disappointment is caused more often by our expectations we have for ourselves. The first thing we must do to avoid that feeling is set realistic goals we set for ourselves.
For example, Sally wants to lose 100 pounds. She sets out determined, but is an emotional eater. within a month, she loses ten of these pounds. Then, she is called into her bosses office at work. He tells her due to low sales records for the year they must lay off a number of employees. Sally in one of them. She “feels” awful. the previous week, what she wasn’t aware of was her immediate boss left the company because he too, was a part of the layoff. Sally had applied for his position, “assuming” he quit.
What lessons can we learn about expectations in Sally’s brief example? First, we must learn we set a goal not preparing ourselves of unexpected consequences. There are many things in life that happen we simply do not have control over. We also “expected” we also set our expectation over something we did not investigate to get all the facts. Because Sally is an “emotional eater” and has set such a lofty goal of losing 100 lbs,, when she arrives home, the first thing she does is dig into unhealthy foods and overeat.
Because of her “expectations” that feeling of disappointment overtakes her logistical thinking about weight loss. She gained five pounds back of the ten pounds lost within a week. This happens due to failed expectations and setting a goal way above a more reasonable one. She feels hopeless, (yes, another emotion), and is now disappointed in herself about losing her job, and regaining the weight. We can continue to feel this way for a lifetime. Why? Our goals are too lofty and our expectations in others, (we don’t control other people), too much. Failed expectations also come from assumptions rather than getting answers to clarify expectations with ourselves and others.
Expectations with others is the second reason we feel disappointed. It is sad and I have had to realize myself time and time again, we simply do not control others and their actions. Thinking in any way that we can or do, results in failed expectations.
What expectations do you have in yourself that will result in disappointment from outside circumstances? I want us all to think about this. Often, when we feel disappointed in others by getting to the root cause of our reason we are actually disappointed in ourselves. How do we change what we do expect from ourselves and others? First, we set goals that are reasonable. Losing 100 pounds is not impossible but must be done in increments, setting smaller goals throughout to achieve the end results. We also should prepare ourselves that we may fall from grace by our own expectations. When setting any kind of goal, be realistic. If it is too lofty, break your gaol up into reasonable, smaller goals. The end result is likely to be successful.
We should always set goals for ourselves within reaching distance. This means goal setting that is realistic and accomplished with small goals over time. Our disappointment in others results from a false illusion we can control others actions. We can’t and we need to stop wasting our time trying to.
We all feel disappointed in ourselves from time to time. Ask yourself the following questions today and leave me a comment in the “join the discussion” area beneath the post. Are the expectations you set for yourself too lofty? Are you controlled by emotion? What can we do to stop feeling so disappointed?
Again, I have given you additional questions I want to hear your ideas about. Do you agree with this post or disagree? If you have a thought or idea that will help us cope with our disappointments in ourselves or others, that is greatly appreciated.
The following is ten reason why you should join our writing community. Beneath this, is the “join the discussion” area to share your comments. Joining daily wisdom words is easy. Right now it is the most cost effective way I know of to improve our writing skills. I have written my first book, and will start a second soon. However, right now would not be the best time for me to start the book. I have too many disappointments in myself that I failed my little sister. Our writing begins with our thoughts. It is just $10 right now to join dailywisdomwords.com for a lifetime. the articles, suggestions and poetry shared on this website are how you can begin to take control of your expectations and disappointment in yourself. Thanks so much for reading, Samantha Leboeuf
OTHER DAILY WISDOM WORDS POSTS YOU MAY LIKE: https://dailywisdomwords.com/daily-wisdom-words/expectations/
Ten reasons why we join dailywisdomwords.com-
TEN REASONS TO BECOME A MEMBER OF DAILY WISDOM WORDS! SIGNING UP IS EASY. SIMPLY VISIT OUR WEBSITE AND FOLLOW ANY OF THE “BECOME A MEMBER” BOXES BY CLICKING ON ONE AND SIGNING UP. THE COST TO JOIN IS EITHER $20.00 FOR 20 YEARS OF MEMBERSHIP OR: FIVE DOLLARS WITH THREE DOLLAR DUES PER MONTH. THE LATTER MEMBERSHIP MAY BE CANCELLED AT ANY TIME WITH 30 DAYS NOTICE. TWO WAYS, TWO OPTIONS PERFECT FOR YOUR NEEDS!!
1. Personal Social Media Profile. This is step one after joining. Take your time. Build your social media page. Upload photos/videos of your personal work and a clear mini-resume. This creates credibility with your followers and readers and also, YOU!
2. With a DWW membership, you will have the resources to become successful or enjoy a more successful writing career. The social media profile you have created may be shared by tweeting FROM our website, https://www.dailywisdomwords.com, and you may also share with twitter and facebook FROM our website as well. Soon, you will also have this option with instagram too! This is a powerful tool allowing you the ability to enjoy your membership while actively participating still with other social media sites.
3. Poetry and Writing strengthens literary skills using both the left and right side of the brain.
4. Online Store. We offer you things such as discounted Book Reviews, (we read every word of your book). The book reviews are detailed and compelling. We also offer “Custom Poetry” as well as our first Daily Wisdom Words Anthology written containing poetry from our staff and members. Custom poetry is the perfect gift for you if your looking for a gift for the loved one who is hard to shop for, or has a special occasion coming up. question form for you to fill out telling your personal poet what makes your loved one so special. You then will send this to your personal poet who will call you to set up a 30 minute phone interview. We want your “Custom Poetry” to be perfect for your loved one whether it be for an anniversary, birthday, Retirement, Christmas Present, or any other occasion. We will then write the poetry for you and you will receive a call and email where you let us know if this is exactly what you were looking for. We then edit any changes for you. This gift is nominal, because it is so unusual and unique. It can run up to $195 depending on the frame, font and length of poem. However, your loved one will appreciate it forever and there is no better feeling than this or better investment.
5. Cost of Membership
6. LIVE prompts to have fun and encourage/strengthen writing skills on Mon. Wed, Fri. challenging writer’s intellectually.
7. Community Writing Page available anytime to all writers to post their poetry or latest book release.
8. Counseling available to members with Mental Health Advocates-Mental Health Advocates are not licensed therapists. They however, can give excellent advice and listen. They can refer you to the Director of this program as well, retired Psychologist, Dr. Shanni Dover.
9. Daily Wisdom Words donates a small percentage of proceeds above overhead to UNICEF for children.
10. being able to network/friend others like you OR join in forums that have topics that interest you. You may also start your own forum. Share your writing with others on “Community Corner”, aka Community Writing Page.